CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

My Space/You Tube

After reading the articles on myspace and you tube, and having some knowledge of the topics myself I realized a few things. As one of the articles had pointed out it's a space that teens go to. Back when I was younger we used to have places like roller rinks where we could go and hang out with our friends. Nowadays they are subjected to doing these things online. For the reason that a lot of these teen spaces have closed down, and also for the fact that we are now living in a digital world. Teens use myspace and youtube for their voices to be heard, by both their friends and even strangers that live 2000 miles away.

One of the major things that I've noticed about myspace is that it's a place to see and be seen. People reference back to others myspace all of the time, aka 'look people up.' Kids use it as a place to be validated. The more friends you have, the better. Most people on a teenagers friend list they do not know who the person is. They use crazy glitter graphics (mostly girls) to make their pages as pretty as possible. They post pictures up far too frequently and want these pictures to be commented on. They also promise that if you comment on their pictures, in turn they will go back and comment on yours. It's attention. These pictures are all of them, in the mirror making different faces. It's basically trash. I find that myspace use for those of us over the age of 20, is totally different. We use it to keep in touch and share milestones in our lives.

Youtube is another way for teens to get attention. I found it cool that there was an entire course on youtube. It's a great website, there are great videos, and there is a lot of absolute trash on there also. I think it's really cool that the class itself is posted on there however I do not know who would actually watch it. This youtube class definately is for the digital natives.

0 comments: