CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, February 11, 2008

Unlearning the Myths That Bind Us - Linda Christensen

This reading talked about the "secret education" that children are getting from different tv shows.

"The 'secret education' delivered by children's books and movies instructs young people to accept the world as it is portrayed in these social blueprints"

I agree that in childrens programs today it may be harder to recognize, however the secret education is still there. Last semester I wroted a paper on Disney movies and the way that they are stereotyped in terms of gender alone, so this is a topic that I've given some thought. And what was funny about it was, the author of this article states Mulan as an example for being harder to see through, I disagree. Mulan may be a movie about a powerful female leading character, but during the whole movie she is pretending to be a man!

Even in the modern, 'Cindy Ellie' the author complained that at the end, her main goal was to 'get her man.' It's a childrens book, there are very few endings that would be pleasing to young kids. Perhaps the problem is that there are not enough possible endings.

1 comments:

Dr. Lesley Bogad said...

YOu make such a good point about Mulan! I want to hear more from your paper you wrote about Disney. And more connections to Christensen to show where she stands on these issues.

LB